In the last post we started talking about getting bigger clients or catching the
“big fish”. These are the types of clients that will sustain your business over the long run by creating consistency. We’re going to take that a step further by talking about how to understand and think like a big fish company and how that can help you plan your approach and find success.
Before you can start the process of landing big clients, you must make sure your entire team is onboard with your approach and vision. There are six keys to finding big client success.
- First Impression: You have one shot to land a big client. If you make a mistake, they aren’t going to consider you again. Never give them a reason to doubt your abilities.
- Priority: Your big clients must always feel like they are your priority. Return calls and emails immediately and find solutions to their problems or questions as quickly as possible.
- Flexible: You need to be flexible in your negotiations. If they need a special service or for you to customize a product, say yes for the benefit of the long term. A little hassle now will be a big payoff later.
- Long-term: This goes along with the last one. As you are approaching and negotiating with big clients you need to think about the long-term benefits for your business. If you go for a one-time big score, you may lose their interest and the ability to have them as a long-term client.
- Have Fun: Business should be fun, even when trying to land big clients. In fact, this should be the most fun. You are sharing your vision with new people and including them in your future success and likewise. People simply work better in a fun, happy environment. Your passion will also be contagious and pull the big fish into your vision even more.
- Provide Help and Assistance: If you take just a little bit of time and offer your clients ways to save money or time by introducing them to potential business partners, this will show you really are invested and interested in their business. Strive to find balance between your business needs and your client’s needs.
Here are a few tactics you can use to bring in a big-company vision to the people on your team.
- Teach them the 6 keys mentioned above.
- Put together a performance-based incentive program.
- Conduct frequent team meetings.
- Use a “right now” policy where big clients are responded to immediately.
- Offer awards/recognition for big-company ideas and executions.
- Put together a training and certification program based on the six keys above.
These 6 keys and tips will help you instill a big-company mindset throughout your company which will help you be more prepared and more likely to land your big fish. Once your team is thinking this way, you’ll be unstoppable.
If you need help putting together an incentive program or you are looking for ways to push your team toward the big-company mindset, contact REVVD to work with one of our fractional executives and they can help you accomplish this.